Shared by Tsivia Tobi
Tsivia Tobi's Merget Kaski (Vegetable Soup With Bulgur)Yield: 8 - 10 servingsTime: 1h 45min
This recipe was shared by Tsivia Tobi. Read more about her family in "Keeping a Couscous Tradition Alive — Even When There’s No Couscous in Sight" and try her recipes for kofta (meat patties), mashed pumpkin, and turshi (pickled vegetables).
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut in half or thirds
- 4-6 stalks celery, cut into two inch pieces
- 1 medium to large turnip, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 ½ teaspoons of salt, divided
- 6 cups of stock (any kind)
- 4 small potatoes (~1 lb.), quartered
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into medium chunks
- 2 large or 3 medium zucchinis, quartered
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of dry bulgur wheat, cooked separately, following instructions on box
In a large stock pot, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, celery, turnip, parsnips, parsley, cilantro, and dill and saute for 15 minutes until vegetables soften.
Stir in tomato paste and 1 ½ teaspoons of salt and sauté for 1 minute. Add the stock and 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, partially covered.
Add the potatoes, butternut squash, and zucchini and simmer for 20 minutes until softened. Add the chickpeas and simmer for 10 more minutes.
Add 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup of cilantro.
To serve, spoon ½ cup of bulgur into a bowl, top with soup and meat patties.