Shared by Einat Admony
Spicy Tomato Salad With Tahini DressingYield: 4 servingsTime: 30min
For the garlic condiment:
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
For the tahini dressing:
- ½ cup best-quality raw tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ garlic clove, finely grated or minced
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 16 ounces (3 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small jalapeño, cored, seeded and sliced into very thin rings
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Make the garlic condiment: Combine the garlic and lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir to blend, then stir in the oil, sugar, and salt. Set aside for 30 minutes. (This will mellow the strong flavor of the raw garlic).
Make the tahini dressing: Pour the tahini into a medium bowl. Whisk in the lemon juice and garlic, followed by the ice water a couple of tablespoons at a time. Keep whisking until the mixture is creamy with a consistency similar to a smooth hummus; you may not use all of the water. Whisk in the salt and several twists of pepper and set aside.
Assemble the salad: Toss the cherry tomatoes and jalapeño in a medium bowl with the lemon juice, oil, and salt. Spread the tahini dressing around the rim of a serving dish as you would hummus, leaving a well in the center for the tomatoes. Pile the tomatoes and jalapeño into the well, then spoon the garlic condiment over them. Season with pepper and serve immediately, before the tomatoes become soupy.
Make ahead: The garlic condiment and the tahini dressing can be made up to a day in advance and stored separately in airtight resealable containers in the refrigerator.
Inspired by Einat’s aunt and the Tel Aviv restaurant M25, this salad is spicy and given a lift by techina.
Excerpted from Shuk by Einat Admony and Janna Gur (Artisan Books). Copyright © 2019.