- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 pound (2⅔ cups) pearl or Israeli couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup finely chopped mint
- ½ cup finely chopped basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped preserved lemon rind
Bring a 4-quart pot of generously salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the couscous and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain in a colander and shock in cold water to stop the cooking process and rinse off any extra starch. Transfer the couscous to a large bowl.
Heat the oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and sweat until softened and just translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Season the shallots with salt and pepper and add to the couscous along with any remaining olive oil in the pan.
Add the remaining ingredients to the couscous and toss to coat. Season to taste and serve at room temperature with the sliced tuna steaks.